Thursday 5 April 2012

One week in Puri -

Well a week ago I was on the train from Delhi and really didn't know what was instore for me. The first week has been a mix of emotions - from delight at the size of my flat and the beautiful beach - to near dispair when I had no water for 2 days and was unable to unlock my phone, finally  having to resort  to buy a new one! Think I may as well cancel the english orange one now......

The people I am working for are delightful and very keen to learn: cures for their own aches and pains as well as the patients. I m still nervous about the motor bike riding - not so much my ability just the lack of obeying any kind of traffic order system! Madhab today said 'when I am 55 I won't want to ride a motor bike either!' so it seems they do understand. It is difficult getting arround in Puri as every 5 seconds I am pestered by a rickshaw driver and distances aren't what they appear on the map! I mentioned at work that I would like to buy a cheap bike to get used to the roads - next day there was a bike waiting for me! 'Rosie' is a godsend and I am able to pop around much easier, I have asked them to purchase me a basket then I really will be setup - and will maybe try the motorbike at the week end.... photo to be added next post...

I have written a type of action plan at work for Madhab's approval - I am not sure it's just the custom of not wanting to displease by saying no but I am still not sure it's entirely what they are wanting from me.
He asked me to give a presentation on just my second day on cerebral palsy lasting 3 hours. Piece of cake :S (HELP!!!) well at least it gave me something to work on but really didnt know what level to pitch it at. It actually went OK I think, they digested every slide of the power point presentation over and over again - going back and forward until they finally understood it, (very nearly 3 hours too). I think.
Wednesday was spent trying to put together an action plan and also sorting out my residence status; fine now paid and have to wait 2 days for the paper work. Then I can open a bank account, sometime, eventually, I hope!
Today I was taken out into the villages to attend a meeting of a self help group. I think of the 1 hour meeting I was probably topic of conversation for about half of it - they wanted to know if I was married, how many children, how old I was, what I am doing here.... it was a lovely ride out into the rural Orissa with interesting mix of good and poor housing, but eveyone was smiling - (apart from 1 episode of road rage we witnessed but I am surprised there isn't more!). I wonder what tomorrow will bring.....pics to follow I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment