Wednesday 11 April 2012

Water water everywhere!

The last few days have been extremely muggy and culminated in severe thunderstorms 2 nights in a row, which although quite refreshing at the time, don't relieve the high humidity once they have past. They do settle the dust though and cause additional power cuts.

I would like to introduce you to Rosey, my 2 wheeled friend:


She now has the addition of a basket at the front which is very handy indeed. The other 2 wheeled friend has, I am afraid, been sidelined because he is just tooo unwieldy for me on these crowded hectic roads:

I do have another 2 wheeled friend waiting in the wings for some minor but essential repairs, such as breaks, and this will be my steed for going to the field - a moped : lighter, no gears and a little more suitable for a young(ish) lady like me! (Photo to follow).

These storms have taken me by surprise: my apartment was flooded this morning after rain lashed through one of the sky lights. Madhab has now tried to fix it for me by blocking up the holes with the rotten old floor mats that were here, so hopefully I won't be floating around tomorrow morning - just as well I didn't leave the laptop on the floor ! Also there has been progress as I now have a water filter so will be able to save on money and waste by not having to buy so many bottles of drinking water.

Work is very slow compared with what I am used to: tomorrow I am doing my first workshop with the Community Based Rehabilitation Workers (CBRWs). I am hoping this will give me my baseline from which to plan their training needs. This will be followed by 7 consecutive days of field visits which I am really looking forward to.

I have already been out into the field a couple of times and seen some of the conditions first hand. My first impression is how happy and friendly all the families are and, so far, very keen to help and look after their children no matter what their disability. Of course these are families seeking help so will be cooperative and keen, and I have only been to 2 villages so we shall see. One of the trips out culminated in having lunch after a village womens health meeting where I was guest of honor (but fortunately didn't have to make a speech):
Yes I was sitting crosslegged on the floor, using my hand and eating off a palm leaf, much to Madhab's amusment as you can see! The food was very hot!
Part of my work has also been advising treatment for other neuro patients such as  strokes, and various musculoskeletal conditions too. They do have a Physio but he is off sick with chicken pox but will be back in a couple of weeks. One such consultation has resulted in my being invited to a school at a Leper Colony about 10kms away founded by Fr. Marian Zelazek who has been nominated several times for International Peace prizes for his work. It is held at Ishopanti Ashram and will be a really amazing visit I am sure.
Well it's time to start my Aloo Masala, hope you enjoy reading and I look forward to your comments. TTFN xxx

2 comments:

  1. Hello Rosie! I think I want one too! Well, walking is the thing here so I guess I'll just have to get used to it!

    Always take care while driving!

    Send me some aloo masala, or teach me how to make one! I WAAAAANT! :p

    Gera

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to know you named your bike after me!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete