Friday 11 May 2012

Another day in Puri.

I know I posted only yeaterday but its Friday night and I wanted to share some photos with you. Firstly meet one of my neighbours.
I don't know if the family are feeding him but he has been at this window for the last 2 evenings at the same time each day. I have seen monkeys around here before but not stopping to chat like this!

I have mentioned my work a lot in some of the posts so I thought I would add some pictures to demonstrate more effectively what the conditions and places are like:
  The families have all given verbal consent for these photos to be taken. Above a young boy in a farming community, with left hemiplegia, being encouraged to stretch and use his arm to dress himself. To the left a young girl with quadriplegic spacticity was scared of her special sitter because it was too unstable for her. But she sits confidently on a roll and supported by cushions - this is important in preventing contractures and encouraging better movements. Below a young boy with poor head control shows that he can lift his head when put on his tummy.


There are many other encouraging stories like these which I shall endeavour to keep you all updated with. I don't know how much some will improve, but if we can make their lives more comfortable and easier for their families to manage as they grow up, then something good will have been achieved. Every child is different and has different disabilities and abilities. Sometimes it's the families' expectations and attitudes which are the hinderence to providing the best possible care for the children. This is often the biggest challenge the Community Based Rehabilitation Workers (CBRWs) face when trying to help the child and family. Many parents have had no or little education, the direct translation being 'she can not even see the school verandah'. Educating the family that there is no cure available but better management, and a change in attitude, can help their child better than any homeopathic remedy! There is also often the belief that doing some activities with the child will bring on fits, so the child is sometimes left in a dark room with no stimulation so as to prevent them. Showing the family another way is hard when they are acting on what they have experienced and understand.                                                              
                                                                          
This young girl is practicing head control for rolling by following the sound of a rattle to encourage her to lift her head. Lying on her front is also a good position to stretch stiff joints and muscles.            








There is a lot to do but the CBRWs are dedicated and enthusiastic to learn so I really feel that in just 6 weeks there has been quite good progress. I am nearly a quarter of the way through my 'tour of duty', lets see what the next quarter will bring..........

2 comments:

  1. Hi mum! I haven't been able to leave comments before, so this is a test! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woop it worked! I love all the pictures, keep 'em coming! Looks like you're really engaging :) xxx

    ReplyDelete