Tuesday 22 May 2012

One lump or two?


It been a very eventful and sociable 12 days since I last posted on here. I can even cope with the fact that my Nescafe has turned to lumps despite being in a sealed container - the humidity is unrelenting!

On Saturday 12th May my friend Rosie arrived at 7.30am after a 16 hour trip from Ranchi, Jarkhand. She is an OT also voluteering with an NGO. It was lovely to have the company, loads of girly chat and relaxation. I was very pleased when Rosie managed to find hand embroidered bedding for wedding presents for friends in UK. I seem to learn a lot more about Puri when I have visitors! And of course we had to keep cool in the best way possible - the lovely pool at the Mayfair Hotel. We were joined on the Sunday by Amanda who is a volunteer based in Bhubaneswar.

The start of the working week showed great promise: parallel bars and standing frames all being made to order and even a caliper free of charge from a local carpenter! But the weather got hotter and hotter and the breeze dropped, news came that one child's family had had a bereavement so we could not visit. So the momentum was lost a little but that gave me a chance to plan for June and do some preapartion for more training workshops.

Bidusmeta getting used to her new standing frame
Puja getting to grips with parallel bars

Wednesday was particularly hectic in Puri, I couldn't understand why, until I saw the stage which had been erected: it was the start of the 2012 Folk Festival and just around the Bus Stand (depo) from me! Something I could not resist. I don't usually go out on my own in the dark but I was reassured it was safe as there will be police everywhere. I was also told it would start at 6.30pm, then in a few minutes at 7pm, then oh 7.30 of course! Finally it got underway (7.40pm - India Stretch Time IST) and was a spectacle of sound and colour and dance. I really enjoyed it and went home at 10.30pm smiling all the way!
Exotic Dancers in Puri

The weekend came along very quickly and even though I was working on Saturday I was looking forward a party that had been arranged as a leaving do for some volunteers who's tours of duty have ended. I decided I woud stay at the hotel, which was the other side of town, so I could enjoy the company and some 'refreshment' without having to try to get a rickshaw on my own late at night. The room was cheap enough at RS300/- but OMG the 'bathroom' was disgusting and I thought I felt things crawling on me all night! I did manage some sleep though and it was nice to wake right next to the beach. We had a leisurely breakfast and then 3 of them left to get a bus back to Bhubaneswar. Clarinda decided to stay until her train at 4pm so we went to the pool - at the Mayfair, where else!!!

Work started well this week with a field visit to construct a swing and a pulley for a young boy with left hemiplegia. It's not really like work at all!
A swing for Uttam
We were offered refreshment while at Uttams house so a young man just popped out and :

up about 80 feet to get fresh coconut. I have never seen in real life someone climb a tree with just a rope around his hips and bare feet - truly amazing! I think I am getting used to the sweetness of the 'milk' but not the rubbery texture of the flesh.

The fruit in season at the moment is the mysterious - to me anyway - Jack Fruit. I was interested in finding out how it tasted before buying but no one would cut me a bit so I am still none the wiser. They are huge fruit some the size of at least 4 rugby balls if not more!
Jack fruit for sale in Puri
This evening I was taken to meet the President of Puri Rotary Club, to introduce myself and discuss my proposal for a village based Rehab/community centre. I have now been invited to present my proposal to the 50 or so members of Puri Club on Saturday evening. They will then consider if they can assist with equipment etc. This is actually very good news and means one of the goals of my placement may soon be in the development stages, fingers crossed!

The Office is having its summer gathering tomorrow and I have been invited to assist in making the chicken curry - this will be great fun and amuzing too - they all think an English woman can't cook rice properly (never mind curry), well they obviously never heard of Uncle Bens........ (wish me luck)!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sue!

    Great past 12 (or 14 now) days. :D A good mix, work wise and social life.

    I am crossing fingers for you, your objectives and the beneficiaries-to-be!

    Cheers,

    Gera

    ReplyDelete